Saturday, December 30, 2006

Who is Lyle Stevik? (Found in WA State)


Classification: Unidentified
Investigative Case#: 01-7870
NCIC#: U-960002335
Dental Charts Available: Yes
DNA Available: Yes
Located Date: September 17, 2001
Date of Death: September 16, 2001
Area Found: Grays Harbor County
Area Found: Amanda Park, WA
Approximate Age: 20-30 Years Old
Gender: Male
Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 140 lbs.
Race: White/Possibly Native American or Hispanic
Complexion: Medium
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Hazel

Identifying Marks: Appendectomy scar on abdomen. Teeth in near perfect condition. It is possible that he spoke with a slight Canadian or similar accent.

Clothing: Blue plaid shirt, gray "Fruit of the Loom" T-shirt, "Levi 550" bluejeans (size 36-34), black "Timberland" boots (size 10M), black leather belt.

Circumstances: This young man checked into the motel using the name "Lyle Stevik" from 1019 South Progress Avenue, Meridian, Idaho. The maid entered the room the following morning and he indicated that he was going to stay a few more days though he had only paid for one evening. The maid entered again on September 17, 2001 and found him hanging from the coat rack. He had left money on the nightstand with a note that said, "For the Room" on the envelope. The only personal belongings in his possession was a toothbrush and toothpaste.

Grays Harbor Sheriff's Department
(360) 249-3711
  • The address he gave traces back to a Best Western Rama Inn in Meridian, Idaho.
  • He gave the name "Lyle Stevik" which may be his real name, but interestingly enough it is also a character's name in Joyce Carol Oates's book called "You Must Remember This" which was published in November, 1998.
  • During his brief stay he had no incoming or outgoing calls from his room.
  • A piece of paper with the word "SUICIDE" was written in block letters was found in the trash in his room.
  • "Lyle" had no tan lines despite it being the end of summer suggesting he didn't spend much time outdoors.
  • His nails were neatly trimmed and clean.
  • Hair was probably trimmed within a month prior to his death.
  • His hair was combed straight back.
  • He arrived with no luggage, but had a toothbrush and toothpaste.
  • He had changed rooms because of the noise after his arrival. The first room was near the highway and close to a trailer park and was too noisy for him so he moved to a second room located in the middle of the motel.
  • He had been seen pacing back and forth next to the road.
  • He has an appendectomy scar and had work done on his near perfect teeth so he should have a dentist and medical doctor somewhere who might recognize this man.


Amy said...

this has been driving me crazy since I saw it. I just don't understand how anyone could let a loved one stay unknown irregaurdless of message to them or not.

kim said...

I agree with you, Amy. I've read that it's possible that Lyle mailed a suicide note to family and maybe that's why no one is looking for him. Are you kidding? If my son sent me such a note, I'd be calling every police department/hospital within the area of the postmark trying to prevent his death. It's heartbreaking that this young man died alone...and is still alone.

sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melisah said... Could this be him? -MH

Tracy Duncan said...

I'm stumbling upon this blog for the first time from a Pinterest link. It absolutely blows my mind that no one is missing this guy..And in the morgue photo..(this is gonna sound weird) but it really strikes me how much he looks like the actor Julian McMahon.
These Jane/John Doe cases always get me the most!

ladyhock said...

I am just seeing this too. How sad to think nobody would miss you? Such a handsome young man.

ladyhock said...

Melisah, it certainly does but there are five years apart. A tattoo is on one and not listed on the other.But that is totally amazing because they could be twins!

Routinely Challenged but Always drinking Lemonade said...

Similar to this guy....same height, similar appearance, weight different, but a lot can happen in two years

litha said...

No, the nose is totally different. And this lists no tattoos.

DanielMock said...

Such a sad story. Being that it was a few days after 9/11, I wondered if that is somehow connected in some way.

s duncan said...

Was in the area of Port Angeles this weekend.. This happened so close to 9-11-2001, before you needed a passport to come over from Victoria..Right before they really clamped down.. A ferry ride from Victoria Canada was just a hop , skip and jump over to Port Angeles, and then a bus ride to Quinault makes me really wonder if he was Canadian...

miscelena said...

The Grays Harbor Sheriff’s Office have identified the man known only as “Lyle Stevik”.

In September of 2001, the Grays Harbor County Sheriff’s Office investigated a death at a motel in Amanda Park. A man had checked into the hotel under the name of Lyle Stevik.

When the man was found dead and hanging in the closet of his room from an apparent suicide, the Sheriff’s Office began looking for his true identity, spending “countless hours over the years”.

In a statement, the Sheriff’s Office and the Grays Harbor County Coroner’s Office say that they were contacted earlier this year by Margaret Press and Colleen Fitzpatrick, co-founders of the non-profit DNA Doe Project.

Their group offered to fund the analysis of “Lyle’s” DNA with the hopes of identifying possible family members.

After the coroner’s office provided a DNA sample to the group, they say that about 20 volunteers worked hundreds of hours on “Lyle’s” identification since obtaining his DNA results on March 22.

The Sheriff’s Office says that the group stated that, in addition to the volunteers, they wanted to “express their heartfelt appreciation to all the many donors who contributed to the cost of the tests”.

This was the group’s first Doe Fund Me case and was funded in less than 24 hours with contributions from around the world. The group also wanted to thank all 900,000 plus people who have contributed their DNA results to the GEDmatch database. Without them this identification could never have been made.

Margaret Press stated to GHSO that “cases like these are heart-breaking. During those hundreds of hours there wasn’t one where we didn’t all think of the family he left behind. They are what kept us going”.

Through the work of the DNA Doe Project, the group was able to come up with a possible match of a man from California. Investigators with the Sheriff’s Office were able to contact possible family members and positively identify “Lyle” through fingerprints provided by the family.

The family believed that “Lyle” was still alive, just did not want to associate with family. Our victim was 25 years of age at the time of his death.

The family of “Lyle” has requested that his name not be released.

Online followers of the case have set up websites, social media groups, and messageboards to discuss possible evidence.

In a posting today, one group has offered to crowd-fund the relocation and funeral of the body to wherever his family would like him to be buried.

“I feel it’s only right, and I think it would be a great conclusion to our search.” said the OP

For more information on DNA Doe Project and the case, visit